When I was 12 years old, my best friend and I would pretend we were 25. And when you’re a 12 year old pretending to be a 25 year old your life is pretty sweet. Let me paint that picture for you.
At 25 the 12 year old thought:
-She would be working as a pediatrician and driving a white convertible.
-She would be engaged to the boy she met in college and planning a super fun wedding (said boy would look just like Zach Morris).
-She would have gum in her purse, in her car, in the house…pretty much everywhere. (I thought it was cool to chew gum) .
-She would dress super cute
-She would still be best friends with all her elementary school friends.
-She would be living in Texas because Texas is the best state in the whole world.
Pretty normal right? Right.
Well now I’m actually 25. And I thought I was going to have a major “quarter of a century crisis.” I thought I was going to freak out about the fact that I’m still horribly single, living pay check to pay check, working in a job that in no way is connected with the $40,000 degree I got from college, that I’m still horribly single, that I don’t have a reliable car, that gum is not at my fingertips whenever I want, did I mean that I’m still horribly single? But you know what?
I’m happy with where my life is going right now. Because I have a lot going for me and even more ahead of me. I may not be doing what the 12 year old me thought I would be doing, but who is actually doing what the 12 year old you thought you would be doing? That’s right, NO ONE! Turning 25 is an exciting time in your life. And I for one, think that those in our mid-20s should make the most of it. : )
So to celebrate being a quarter of a century old, here are a few things that make being 25 exciting!
1. I have a stable and secure job. That has plenty of room for me to grow.
2. If I decided to leave said job, I still have another field that I could find another job with and be totally happy. (Remember? I’m 100% certified to teach high school in Texas, I just have to apply.)
3. I’m in pretty happy with my body.
4. I know how to dress my body type (which is important if you’re happy with your body!).
5. I live on my own with virtually no financial help from the parental units.
6. I’m finally putting myself out there to not be horribly single anymore.
7. I’ve lived in a whole other state for almost 2 years and now have a life here. (Still miss Texas like crazy though).
8. I know how to live within my means. (IE. I make the most of living pay check to pay check).
9. I’ve created a family out of some pretty amazing friends in Florida.
10. I’m going to buy a car this year.
11. My car insurance for said car won’t be crazy expensive.
See! Now how can I complain about being 25 when my life if going in a pretty good direction? And for those of you who are about to be 25, just do what I did. Take a step back and count all the things that make being 25 amazing!!
Now check back in about 5 years. Cuz I may be singing a different tune when I turn the big 3-0! But I have no idea where I will be when I’m 30, because a ton can happen in 5 years! All I know is I’m going to make the very most of life and just let it happen. After all it’s not really in my hands is it?
No, no it isn’t.